Friday, April 16, 2010

Week 12 - Screen Casting - thoughts

I just love the ability to make screencasting presentations. Though it takes a little effort to make a fairly nice presentation, it is still amazing. To think that we can avail of such technology and software is what blesses me!

My first attempt to make a screencast was to produce instructions about placing items on hold at our library. I decided that it would be a really good idea to use a phantom patron and not my personal library card! But then I became really busy and did not get back to the work.

Just recently I had all my information together, but also found that I should do the recording in the library so that when I flub up I could erase the information from the phantom patron's card, since at home I did not have access! When I was at the library I had another hurdle. Our library system catalog looks different from our patrons online catalog, so I needed to use my laptop thru Wi-Fi.

After I recorded the instructions, it took me some time to understand where my embedded file was going when I saved it. Sometimes I'm a bit slow on the uptake! I went and read the instructions and realized -- Oh ! Sign up and then sign into screencast.com. And there were my embedded files. So in the post below you will find my screencast. Though they said you could not alter the size, I was successful by merely changing the size in the HTML part of my blog post. Note however there were three places to change it! But oh how I love victories!

No comments:

Post a Comment