Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Week 7 - Microblogging and Twitter





I have been signed up for Twitter for quite some time but have not used it because I really did not know how to use it. But after taking time to actually watch some training video's, I now understand it better (such as http://mashable.com/guidebook/twitter/. I really learned a lot about other Twitter type resource sites that will enhance and make Twitter really useful. Take time and watch Zebolsen's video on many resources for Twitter (http://mashable.com/2009/05/31/twitter-tutorials-youtube). Having watched it I will probably sign up for Tweetdeck.com to manage and use Twitter more fully. Another exciting thing is Twitterlocal.net. If you live in an area or want to find people who tweet in your area, you can view tweeter's and send them a follow message.

If I can use these sites to use Twitter, I know it will help me feel like I have a better grasp of the technology. I loved that at Tweetdeck.com. A person can add a 12 second video, make links smaller, and send messages to your Facebook followers also. This really helps a person get better use of time and sharing.

A basic Twitter account seems less than easy to learn. It's like the screen just looks at you and expects you to know how to do something. So I'm going to go to a site that is more powerful and creates learning experiences a little easier.

I have begun following 23things kansas and othe librarians, plus friends I have already been signed up to follow. As I get more active, I know that I will find messages from techy type persons helping me grow and also help them grow as we share together. If you want to share with me, just look up . I say share, because I think having a following is a bit inflated, but if we share and communicate together, then we do follow each other. Almost like a mutual admiration society.

I think Twittering could be really fun to push news and information out to local residents for a library. We can also create fun Twitter contacts with those in the community we serve. Libraries are finding that people want experiences and community, well we are situated just right to see this happen. This way libraries will be seen as relevant to those in the community.

No comments:

Post a Comment